The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Home
Forum

Acronyms
Album
Calendar
Downloads
Forum Tour
Knowledge Base
Latest Ratings
Links
Online Users
Personal Albums
RSS Feed
Rules
Staff
Statistics

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

My Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

General Tire Altimax Arctic

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
granite
Real User
Real User
104 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:24 pm   Post subject:  General Tire Altimax Arctic Back to top 

I just bought 4 General Tire Altimax Arctic snow tires today. I know there has already been some discussion about whether this tire is really a Gislaved Nord Frost 3 with just the General label on it. I thought I would show off some pics and share my experience with my purchase today.

My local dealer also had some of the now discontinued Gislaved NF3 in stock so I was able to see the two next to each other. The molds are indeed exactly the same. Also, according to my dealer (who's a friend), he was told by a Continental Rep that the two tires are made of the exact same materials in the exact same factory. There was a $30 difference in price per tire. Gislaved name = more $. My friend is also running the Altimax Arctic on his car. I'm getting the tires put on next week.

Enjoy the pics!

Download Post  No rating  
E36/5
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
564 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Excellent, thanks for the info and pics! Post your experiences after you get some snow/ice miles on them.

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for the info and pics.

BTW, I am currently in negotiations with General to see if they want to be included in this year's Real World Snow Tire Tests. Watch for posts in the 2008 Real World Snow Tire Test forum as I find out more details.

- John

granite
Real User
Real User
104 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:32 pm   Post subject:  Re: General Tire Altimax Arctic Back to top 

This is hardly a proper review, but I was able to get the tires mounted last night as the first flakes of the current New England storm started to fall. My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but I went out for a drive this morning while the snow was still heavily falling.

The streets had been plowed about two hours before I hit the road, but there was already a new 3" of slushy snow on the ground. I was real pleased with how the tires handled the sloop. I couldn't get my Hyundai Elantra's back end to break loose, but my traction control did engage once while climbing my steep, unplowed driveway which had about 7" of snow on it. Usually I need a running start to make it up the driveway, but I just turned in and accelerated up the 40 yard driveway with ease. This alone made the purchase great.

I do a daily commute of 140 miles on I-91 and various side roads in NH and VT. After I get some more road miles on them, I will post a more detailed and proper review. However, I suspect that I am really going to enjoy GEneral Tire's Altimax Arctic. Very Happy

Download Post  No rating  
TireMan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
2902 Points

USA US Pennsylvania
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:01 pm   Post subject:  Re: General Tire Altimax Arctic Back to top 

The tread design sure looks interesting. Glad they are working out for you.

BTW.......how are they on dry pavement?

27 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Great info. on Altimax.

Can you tell us where your tires were made, e.g., USA / Germany /other?

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic